Dusty Penguin

Child of God and in love with my Lord. Wife of a wonderful man. Mother of a young adult, two teens, and a miscellaneous menagerie of furry and finned creatures. Work full-time outside of home and as little as possible at home:)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cedarville, Ohio

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Christmas Day, December 25


Well, the one who used to get up at 5 a.m. on Christmas morning to do the cinnamon rolls, was definitely not the first one up this Christmas! We got to bed about 12:30 a.m., after wishing each other a Merry Christmas:) Erika was the first one up, and with the crutches her stealth mode is definitely not stealthy. So we were soon all gathered in the living room, and began with opening our stockings. I enjoy the challenge of finding little items at Dollar Tree for the stockings.




After opening the stocking stuffers, I began the tedious task of opening two cans of Pillsbury Grande Cinnabon rolls and popping them into the oven. With working full time and numerous Christmas events and parties, I just did not have the time to make homemade rolls. They really were good, and a whole lot easier for me!




After enjoying the rolls with coffee/tea, we turned our hearts to the real meaning of Christmas. Jeremiah read aloud the nativity account from Luke 2, then Duane led the Advent devotions. The white Christ candle was lit by Erika this year (the kids take turns). Advent is one of our favorite Christmas traditions, and it begins the Sunday following Thanksgiving. This season with our crazy schedules, we missed more often than not, but each time we were able to sit down together was special.

We then began to open our gifts. We do this slowly, from youngest to oldest, each opening one gift while the others all watch, and each expressing appreciation to the giver, then go around the circle again and again till the gifts are all opened.
I'm not sure I can remember/identify what each one got. Jeremiah received a dart board, a hoodie, and movie Annapolis from Mom and Dad, and a snowboard leash/stomp pad/boarding magazines from Erika. He also got an army book from Duane, and a calendar with car pictures from me. He got some special ink pens for architecture from Duane as well. He got a card with some money from Grandma and Grandpa, and the rest are stocking stuffers.





Let's see. Erika received a pair of pajamas, a wind breaker, and a shirt from mom and dad. She got an army laundry bag from dad, and music for Phantom of the Opera from mom. She also got a Strong's Concordance from us and the book Eragon. From Jeremiah she got a two-blade knife. I think the rest are stocking stuffers.




Duane got a t-shirt from me that says in upside down print, "If you can read this, please put me back in my tree stand." He also got slippers, jeans, and quite a few socks. From Jeremiah he got a laser pointer, and from Erika a sink wrench (getting that at Sears was a narrative in itself)!




And finally, myself. I got a pair of beautiful black boots from Duane, and a flashlight for my car glovebox (with batteries). From Jeremiah I got a pretty shirt. And from Erika, a couple sets of earrings. One of the sets are shaped like paper clips:) I also got from the family a cute musical decoration with singing snowman and penguins.




After opening our gifts, we relaxed and watched Jeremiah's movie Annapolis while dinner was baking. For dinner we had ham and goose. I was given the goose by a patient at our physical therapy office who loves to hunt. He shot two Canadian geese and gave me one. For those of you who have never eaten goose, it is red meat and tastes like roast beef. Mine was a little tough, so next time I get one I'll use the crockpot instead of the oven. Christmas dinner was quiet and simple, with just the four of us. We had planned on having Duane's mom and step-dad, but his mom was not feeling well. After relaxing the rest of the afternoon, we visited with his brother's family in the evening to finish off the day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hannatu said...

I loved this post. Cool gifts for everyone. I've got a picture of our advent candles that I hope to post. They're all bent forward and we have baby Jesus from the creche in the center.

Thursday, January 04, 2007 12:49:00 PM  
Blogger Dusty Penguin said...

Yes, I liked your picture of the candles worshipping baby Jesus!

Sunday, January 07, 2007 4:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home