Dusty Penguin

Child of God and in love with my Lord. Wife of a wonderful man. Mother of a young adult, two teens, and a miscellaneous menagerie of furry and finned creatures. Work full-time outside of home and as little as possible at home:)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cedarville, Ohio

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Flying

There's nothing I'd rather do on a beautiful summer evening than fly. We have a patient at the office where I work who is a pilot (his wife is also), and they own three (yep, count 'em, 3) airplanes. Upon hearing that he is a pilot, my boss and myself expressed how much we like to fly. So, Monday afternoon he asked us if we wanted to go up after work. We did a little rearranging of schedules, and said yes, we would love to go! They had a friend who is also a pilot that needed to fly his plane to Dunkirk and leave it there, so they were going to fly over and give him a ride back. That left plenty of seat space, so I called Jeremiah and told him to meet me at work (but I didn't tell him why). He was pretty surprised when he found out we were flying. (Erika and Duane weren't available). The pilot "friend" turned out to be a neighbor of ours from 5 houses down the road! He owns a Cessna Skyhawk, and he took Jeremiah with him to Dunkirk. I rode in the Beechcraft with the lady pilot (wife of the patient). And the patient (pilot) took my boss for a ride in the Scout. In my airplane, when we got to Dunkirk, we flew out over Lake Erie and up towards Buffalo, then turned back south and flew down past Westfield and Barcelona, then back to Dunkirk. The sky was clear and the flying absolutely smooth. It was a beautiful, beautiful afternoon/evening. Because there was no wind, the water along the edges of Lake Erie was so still that you could see the rock layer on the bottom. Jeremiah took a little turn at the controls of his airplane. When we landed in Dunkirk, we picked up Jeremiah and his pilot and the 4 of us flew back to Great Valley. Each direction we flew over our house, and on the return trip Duane was outside, so we waved our wings at him.
It was really fantastic fun, and I'm so thankful that we were invited to go along.






4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great memory-maker!

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 6:39:00 AM  
Blogger Hannatu said...

I'm so jealous! I love flying, too...just not in a jet in cattle class jammed in with hundreds of other people who, like yourself, can barely move let alone get comfortable!

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 7:50:00 AM  
Blogger Suellen Black said...

Natalie,
I loved hearing about the wedding and your flight! How amazing is that. Made me a bit homesick for Dunkirk (not a bad thing). I ccan picture the shore line. Thanks for boost. The Gambia is a little hot right now and I would love a dip in Lake Erie.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 6:55:00 PM  
Blogger Dusty Penguin said...

Suellen, how nice to hear from you! I read Joanne's blog all the time. Some day I hope to actually meet you!

Friday, August 31, 2007 9:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home