Dusty Penguin

Child of God and in love with my Lord. Wife of a wonderful man. Mother of a young adult, two teens, and a miscellaneous menagerie of furry and finned creatures. Work full-time outside of home and as little as possible at home:)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cedarville, Ohio

Friday, August 31, 2007

Day 4 (I guess!)

Well, it's kind of hard to keep track of days. I guess I'll call NY to Ohio day 1, then we spent a full day in OH, which was day 2, then we spent a half day in OH and drove across IL and MS, which was day 3.


I already mentioned the loud crowd at the hotel. The next morning we were leaving the hotel (we were on the second floor), and I was carrying purse, camera bag, sweater, suitcase, and who knows what else. As I reached for the stair railing and stepped down for the first step down, I slipped, my suitcase pulled me down, and I bumped down about 3 stairs. I scared both my mom and myself to death. They were exterior cement steps, so I had a very hard landing. I had a few minor bruises, and one very, very huge, very black/purple/blue bruise on my buttock. I hurt so badly that I sat for a few minutes before attempting to get up. Thankfully nothing was seriously hurt or broken! On the scale of 1-10, that bruise was a 10. Well, we got the car loaded and began a long day's journey through Kansas. Most of my trips have been through northern Kansas, and I was surprised at how pretty southern Kansas was.


















It seemed that every time Nancy drove, it poured! Here is a storm coming across the fields.









We saw several fixer-uppers--the kind of places we could afford. They give the countryside a lot of character.







Nancy and I took our turns driving (and punching each other every time we saw a "punch buggy--no return" or a "cruiser bruiser"). I have to admit that she was a much better spotter than I, and ended the trip at least 3 punches ahead of me. I definitely owe her. Anyway, it was planned that Dad would drive when we got into Denver! Traffic wasn't terribly heavy, but it certainly helps to know where you're going.





This is downtown Denver. Can you believe I went to college in that mess? And took the city bus back and forth! I used to have lots of great stories to tell. Wish I had written them down.






This is the high school/church that I attended when we lived in Denver area.


I will continue this day in the next posting.

























2 Comments:

Blogger Hannatu said...

Did your bus go through skid row like mine did? Boy, that was scary to a shy 16-year old kid who had never seen drunks laying passed out on the sidewalk. Can you send me a CD of all your pictures? I'll send you mine....I assume you only want through Westcliffe?

Saturday, September 01, 2007 8:50:00 AM  
Blogger Dusty Penguin said...

When do you leave for Niger?

Monday, September 03, 2007 10:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home